Monday, August 24, 2020

The Green Hornet inspires this Louisiana filmmaker

"I’m a huge fan of that character. I mean huge!!" says independent filmmaker Patrick Bennett of Louisiana, whom you met last week on the brand-new "Pop Ninja" podcast with Lisa Everetts. Patrick is such a fan, actually, that the GH character has inspired his work.

"I love the two cliffhanger serials they made in the '40s," he says. "One with Gordon Jones and one with Warren Hull. Just last month I put together a serial version costume of that character. Maybe someday I’ll wear it to a con."

 

"I loved the ‘60s series, too," Patrick says. "I get all those Dynamite comics and I listen to an episode of the old Green Hornet radio show every day while I’m driving to work. I’m such a geek. LOL. I’m looking forward to the animated TV series Kevin Smith is producing. I did a YouTube show a couple months back where a friend and I reviewed the two serials and the TV show."

 


Patrick produces an event every year called the Calcasieu Serialfest there in Louisiana. Last month marked the seventh one. "It’s a Saturday of serial chapter screenings, serial cosplay, etc.," Patrick explains. "This year I made some COVID masks to give to attendees to wear during the event that look like the Green Hornet mask from the early comics and radio show program. I also made up some Green Hornet buttons that look like the radio show premiums they would give away in the ‘40s. I love me some Hornet."


 
 
 

 

Learn more about Patrick's Calcasieu Serialfest at the event's Facebook page

Follow the "Pop Ninja" podcast on Facebook, as well.

 

Photos courtesy of Patrick Shawn Bennett; please do not copy without permission

No comments: