Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Gavin MacLeod talks about his faith and his time on the "Love Boat"

We just love it when these fresh interviews pop up with the stars we love from classic TV. Gavin MacLeod, aka Captain Merrill Stubing of "The Love Boat," did an interview this week on Detroit's Fox 2. Jason Carr talked with MacLeod about his faith and how that related to the antics on "The Love Boat" and what kinds of roles he's chosen over the years.



MacLeod did the interview live via satellite from Fort Lauderdale, Florida, wearing his typical captain's hat and appearing to be on a boat. So in context! When asked by Carr how he has reconciled Hollywood debauchery with his faith, MacLeod said:

“I was never involved in any debauchery. That word is so repulsive to me, and I was never involved in that. Whatever kind of debauchery is seen on the ‘Love Boat,’ it was all make-believe, you know. That’s one of the few shows in Hollywood, if anybody was messing around, anybody, they weren’t doing it on the ‘Love Boat.’ For one, the guest stars were too old. We were happy they could walk. (Cut to a scene of Joan Collins of "Dynasty" walking with him on the Love Boat deck as she guest-starred in an episode!!!) You know, that’s the way that was. And, I don’t know. I thought the captain was above debauchery. I thought all the regulars, we tried to keep it a very wholesome show, as much as we could. I mean, when you compare with what’s on television today, I mean, it was innocence personified.”



Did MacLeod realize what a cultural institution "Mary Tyler Moore" was becoming when he was playing Murray on the show?

“I don’t think any of us ever realized that. We just went to work every week, and we knew we had wonderful ratings after a while, and all those Emmys coming in and things like that. But I don’t think we ever thought, even Mary, way back then, that we would have … I know we had a great deal to do with women’s lib, because she was really good for women’s liberation and everything. One of the lines, you know, ‘If I’m going to do the same job that he’s doing, why shouldn’t I make the same money that he’s making?’ Which is great. It makes sense. I think she was probably the first one to say anything like that on television. The show was written so well, you know, you had messages but you didn’t even think they were messages, you know?”

Carr also asked, with MacLeod's faith, would he consider a role with some hard-core themes?

“Let some young actor working his way up, or some older actor that hasn’t worked (do it). No, I don’t do that anymore. I’ve reached the point where I’m not really even interested in that anymore. What I’m interested in is getting the word of God out there, to get people saved. To let people know they’ve got a great choice out there, to think about eternity, not about this life we’re going through right now.”

MacLeod has a new book: “This Is Your Captain Speaking: My Fantastic Voyage Through Hollywood, Faith and Life.” We love MacLeod not only for "The Love Boat" but also for his episode of "Wonder Woman," 1978's "The Fine Art of Crime." And we love him even more for speaking out about his faith!

No comments: