Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Terrific non-TV Toys: Daphne Barbie doll by Mattel, 2001

Anticipation was pretty high for the first live-action Scooby-Doo movie, released in 2002 and featuring Matthew Lillard as Shaggy, Sarah Michelle Gellar as Daphne, Freddie Prinze Jr. as Fred, and Linda Cardellini as Velma. Mattel did a series of dolls as part of the merchandising effort for that big-screen release, and the latest episode of the Terrific non-TV Toys series highlights one of those dolls. It's Barbie as the beautiful Daphne, clad in fuchsia satin and accompanied by our favorite Great Dane. This is an out-of-the-box experience, so you can check out each and every accessory -- even the ones that fly across the room. LOL on that ...

See the other episodes in the Terrific non-TV Toys series.

2 comments:

Wendy said...

This is the only Scooby Doo Barbie that I have, and she's got to be one of my favourite dolls -- despite the fact that I didn't really like the movie! This was also probably the first time that I learned how to bridge the gap between taking something out of the box, yet also displaying it in the packaging -- I hated the glare from the plastic, so I basically just kept the insert intact, but made sure Daph was not tied in, and then I clipped some bits off the outer box and taped them to the innards. So for all intents and purposes, where she's displayed in my collection, she technically looks like she's still in the box, but no nasty plastic glare, and you can easily pull her out and look at her!

The stuffed Scooby is unique to this particular doll though, meaning the one you already had also at one point belonged to this movie version Daphne. The other classic Daphne doll you have originally came with a plastic flocked Scooby (each member of the gang had the same type of flocked Scooby, but he's making different expressions); and the second Scooby Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed Daphne Barbie also had the same one. There's one other doll (technically the first Daphne Barbie, I think, dated 2000), an amusement park Daph, where they were really cheap and her Scooby is just a piece of cardboard, lol! This little plush one is sooo cute!

BRBTV.com said...

Oh, wow, I didn't realize the other Scoob was from this same doll. I just assumed it went with the TV-style Daphne Barbie. I got them at different times, so if I did an image search on the TV Daphne, I didn't realize that Scoob looks different. I think that other Scoob was part of a lot of second-hand plush Scoobies I got at the Steel City Con, or another toy show. The TV Daphne came from a toy show, too, but the one that's in Kalamazoo on the west side of Michigan (and only a buck!). Anyway, I think I remember seeing your movie Daphne Barbie in the Daphne panel we did for the show, so super-cool that you are able to display her, yet she's still free from her ties. ;)