Tuesday, November 06, 2018

Terrific TV Toys: Scooby-Doo Encyclopedia by Capstone / Hanna-Barbera

Which witch is which???? Well, you'll be finding that out if you own the brand-new Scooby-Doo Encyclopedia by Capstone and Hanna-Barbera. There were quite a few witches that popped up on the Scooby-Doo cartoons over the years, ever since the appearance of that very first, very creepy one in the 1969 series. This new softcover tome covers all of the ghoulish guest stars that Scooby, Shaggy and the gang had to deal with, whatever the name of the cartoon, whatever the year it aired. It's all rolled into one guide. You get the alias of the bad guy, too, in this book, which is really a "Who's Who of Scooby-Doo!" It's the focus of the latest episode of Terrific TV Toys ...

2 comments:

Wendy said...

Can't thank you enough for making this video! I've been collecting Scooby for almost all of my 32 years, and I was very on the fence about whether or not to get this book since I couldn't see inside of it. To be honest, I'm STILL on the fence, but at least now if I do decide to get it, I won't be as disappointed as I would have been not knowing what to expect.

I can appreciate what they've done here, but I really feel that for the amount of work that went into researching this... why did they stop short of at least adding (as you mentioned) what episode and series each monster was from? That's a HUGE turn-off for me, and would have been even when I was very young. Because I would want to know where to go and look in order to WATCH the monsters in action. I'm also not crazy about the fact that this has been illustrated by an artist. He did a good job, but... I'd rather see actual artwork from the show, so ... screen grabs.

Also like you mentioned, the family tree seems a little light. And again, if the author was going to make a family tree... why not make it a BIT more exhaustive?

All in all, I am disappointed with what this book actually is, BUT I loved your video, and am so grateful that you took the time to really show us what to expect. When buying books, it's so much nicer when you know what you're paying for before you pay!

BRBTV.com said...

Oh, bless you. Appreciate you watching, and your thoughtful insight. As a little added note I realized at some point that each character has a “file” number above the name, and it seems to equate to a code for the episode, with the first two digits being the year. Still, though, it requires some research if you want to see the episode where Killer Krunch appeared, for instance, since his file # is 80016. I guess that’s 1980, maybe episode 16, but you have to know what the Scooby series was called that year to really find it. Soooo ...